inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

summer sampler

I really do believe that the important things in life are not things, but sometimes finding new "things" can be lots of fun. Even when pennies were tight, Batman and I agreed that lovely children's books were an important investment. This past weekend, Gretta brought this book home from Sandy's Books. Even at the ripe old age of 20, our little Miss Organic Farmer in the making couldn't resist the sweet story and lovely illustrations done by one of our faves, Nikki McClure. 
Batman, Gretta and her buddy Meghan were over in Rochester on Saturday, picking raspberries at  Sunshine Valley Organic Berry Farm.When they got back, Batman whipped up a big batch of raspberry cordial. Not for the feint of heart! But really wonderful.
In an effort to eat better and save money, Batman has been taking his lunch to work more often. I found this very cool tiffin at the Hanover Co-op a few weeks ago. We're moving away from plastic, so this is just perfect, and I really love its provenance. The tiffin comes apart into three sections, and includes a smaller container for sauce/salad dressing. There's plenty of room for several different bits of lunch. Here's what it looks like all taken apart...
We are lucky to have a root cellar at our "bit of earth", but we haven't put it to use yet. Once we are here fulltime, I look forward to filling it with jars, baskets and crates filled with our own harvest. I found a book this weekend that came home in my veggie-filled canvas bag from the farm stand. Written by local author, Jennifer Megyesi, the joy of keeping a root cellar will keep me dreaming and planning right into the fall!

Have you found any things lately, that have seemed "just right" for your life? Please share if you like...

4 comments:

  1. First, I'm a big fan of Nikki McClure too. She is one fantastic paper artist!
    A few days ago, at a used bookstore in Sudbury, MA, I found a drawing book, a book about drawing faces, that my father had bought for me when I was young. It was amazing to hold it in my hands, see the pictures I had poured over as a child, and to remember my father's interest in my love of art. Of course, I bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent some Nikki McClure posters to John and Emily as a wedding gift! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tiffin is beautiful only looking at it will make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore my little tifin though I wish it were larger. I purposely make things that will require me to fill all three sections of it, just so I can!

    ReplyDelete