inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

and a brand new quilt, too

 This quilt was such fun to put together! Made for Lindsey and Scott's spring baby, the bits of yellow match the yellow of the freshly painted nursery walls.

 I've long admired the quilts of Gee's Bend, and this little crib quilt was inspired by the women who stitched beauty from worn clothing.
 When Batman was getting ready for his new job, we culled some of his old dress shirts from the closet. I grabbed them and stashed them in my sewing studio, knowing I would have several uses for them. The swatches (above) ended up in this quilt.
 Sewn together with bits of calico, the dress shirt fabric helped create the look I was going for...wonky, improv piecing with a modern and vintage look at the same time.
 This little bit of blue floral is leftover from the quilt I made for Batman when we were college sweeties back in the early 1970's. I bought it while shopping in Harvard Square during a school break. I still remember that day so well. :-)
 This lovely "cotton for quilting" came from the Liberty of London collection. I used it for the quilt  backing.

 We had a wonderful gathering in Detroit this past weekend, and I was so very happy to be with all four of my grown kids. Friends and family "showered" Lindsey and Scott with thoughtful gifts, wisdom and hope. The food was fabulous and the games and crafty projects were fun. 

Now, back in Vermont, the snow is melting off the rooftops, the sap is running from the maple taps and it's Town Meeting Day and Super Tuesday. Spring can't be too far behind!

3 comments:

  1. The combination of blue and yellow is so beautiful! I have to remember this one, in case we are blessed with more baby grandchildren at some point :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete