inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, September 13, 2020

tansy and hope




 Tansy.

I whispered to the tiny blossoms
as I clipped them into the dye pot, 
"Thank you, blossoms, for bringing the magic of the soil 
up through your roots and stems, 
for shining your light these past few weeks, 
and for helping me bring your color into my stitching."

There are so many ways in this world to hope friends.
Don't give up.

Oh me, oh my, what a bit of crazy all of us are going through! We have beloved ones in both California and Oregon, who have air purifiers running in their homes, who have ash falling in their yards, who cannot go outside because the air around them is poisonous, who have bags packed by the door just in case. Global climate change is not a hoax, it's a reality that is knocking at our front doors. And the news from the White House continues to outrage many of us. The pandemic continues its death grip on the nation and yet many ignore basic public health advice. Teaching about the inequities around white supremacy and institutional racism has become taboo, according to someone who is in the position to pull our country together (if only he could see his role in it all). The economy is booming for corporate America, while mom and pop businesses are dropping like flies. 

Maybe like me, it's hard for you to get out of bed in the morning...

But there are so many ways to carry on and to be courageous in these challenging times.

For me, looking out for great stories and at the same time setting limits on how much time I spend listening to current events feels like a good way to cope.

Here's a few links you might enjoy...

  • The Soul of an Octopus, by Sy Montgomery, a fabulous read, info here.
  • Living on the Edge, a Moth Radio Hour story about a man waiting for a liver transplant, here.
  • Renaming a dress pattern in light of current events. Are you not sure what "cultural appropriation" means? This is a very articulate and thoughtful article. From "washi dress" to "trillium dress", via made-by-rae.
  • Willow Crossley's flower arranging videos are a delightful distraction! I found her via Tiny Happy, one of my long time favorite blogs.
AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT MUSIC! It can take you back in time (The Moody Blues, for me, yesterday, over the dye pots), it can help you meditate, you can dance away your tensions, you can sing along, and you can clean up your garden beds to tunes.

GET OUTSIDE (if it is safe for you). Take a walk, a hike, a bike ride, a paddle, do some gardening, hang your laundry on the line, pull some weeds, sit on your porch or stoop, look up at the stars, play hopscotch, walk to your neighbor's for a socially distanced visit.

AND REMEMBER, there is still hope and happiness, even in these dark times. Some folks even stare these times down, with determination in their eyes, like our Hannah and her Loren, who decided to get hitched. Don't know where or when, but they are going to do it.

It takes so much energy just to get through a day in 2020.

I see you, friends. Wherever you are, however you are managing, I honor you.

And I send you love.

xo

3 comments:

  1. This is the sweetest post, Karen. I felt like I had been wrapped in a hug by a dear friend. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, Karen. I am pulling away from the news more and more. Focusing on all the things I can't wrap my head around just pulls me down lower and lower. Your list is perfect.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete