inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

pie, twigs and a 30 day vegan workshop

we are back from a long weekend at our beloved
"bit of earth" in vermont
where batman could not resist the urge to begin pruning the apple trees,
even on snowshoes.
he brought a bundle of twigs back to connecticut
where they will leaf out in the warmth of our dining room.
even though we love the winter's snowy blanket,
  we take our signs of spring very seriously around here.

and what better way to celebrate the winding down of february
than a cherry pie, baked in honor of 
george washington and his mythical axe?
i cannot tell a lie.
(read last year's post here)

last week, i read about heather's 30 day vegan workshop on her blog,
beauty that moves.
i found myself coming back to read her post several times,
and i became more and more intrigued.
i became open to the possibilities of what i might learn.
i talked with batman about it and i was surprised and encouraged
when he said he'd be willing to give it a try, so we signed up.

have you made changes to the way you eat,
due to health, ethics, curiosity or some other reason?
please share!


4 comments:

  1. I made cherry pie yesterday too! :) Can you share your crust recipe?

    Good luck with your vegan challenge. Were you a vegetarian already? Quite a leap. Dean Ornish's cookbooks have great vegan recipes, even though he doesn't call them that. And no knead bread is vegan too. I'll look forward to hearing about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should ask, Karen. I just started a sensible eating plan this week through my gym. 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day to keep blood sugar balanced, whole foods and no pie!!! But yours looks very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pie crust from Joy of Cooking
    tart cherry pie filling from Fannie Farmer
    (YUM!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember wanting to comment when you posted this Karen, but I was at work! As you probably know, J and I gave up meat and fish about a year ago. We'd been vegetarians before but often dealt with cravings, which doesn't seem to happen anymore. I find the Kripalu Cookbook an amazing resource, as of course I cook a lot of very simple Ayurvedic food. I think I would have trouble going vegan as I love my raw milk when I can get it, but I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the 30 day challenge!

    ReplyDelete