inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, August 26, 2011

shelter

It's been an interesting week. There was the very unusual earthquake, which we all felt around here. Then there was the challenging drive to JFK, in heavy traffic, with a plane to catch. Then there was the l-o-n-g wait to hear of Gretta's safe arrival in Australia (which happened). And now we are getting ready for a mighty hurricane.

As I stood at the kitchen sink this morning, washing out the blender after a green smoothie (anticipating a busy day!), I wondered to myself why I've been feeling so grounded and calm.

I realized that I have a shelter that goes with me everywhere. It does not need a power cord or a key or a map.

My breath is my shelter. One breath in and out to cleanse, one breath in and out to relax, and one breath in and out to center. My breaths bring me back to the present moment, the very best place to be these days. 

Breathe into focus, clarity and hope, my friends. May you find shelter there. Be safe wherever you are and whatever you are facing. 

6 comments:

  1. I breathe like that before bed....
    and then prayers....
    asleep within minutes
    Glad she made it safe and sound...lucky girl
    wish I were going there....I have a few blogger friends I'd like to look up
    hold tight through the hurricane
    and don't forget to breathe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. Here in our coastal CT town we are waiting to see if the local or state govn't issue voluntary or mandatory evacuations. But with the storm this big, where do we go? Ohio? Still, breathing and staying in the moment with the kids who have no idea and are much more focused on the first day of school on Tuesday.

    Glad Gretta got to Australia safely and has a wonderful time. Will you go visit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder:)

    YOU be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a very strange week, indeed. I work in Hartford and that feeling of the entire world shaking is not one I hope to feel again any time soon. Be safe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. continued peace and shelter from any and all storms to you, dear friend
    so glad gretta is safe and sound
    breathe... breathe... breathe

    ReplyDelete