inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, May 4, 2015

making the most of my meyer lemons





One of the best things that came out of our long, cold winter here in central Vermont? Three beautiful, brave Meyer lemons, grown on the south facing windowsill in our bedroom. I finally had the courage to pick them, and then hunted around the internet to find the best things to do with them. I even consulted the inspiring Marie Viljoen. Her gracious response inspired me to consider salt-preserving. (Have you seen her gorgeous book?)

Because the lemons are so special, I tried to use them in ways that will last way past their harvest. I actually came up with three uses for the lemons, and ended up putting only the pith and membrane in the compost bucket...
  • Meyer lemon infused vodka (to drizzle into Prosecco?).
  • A modest batch of lemonade, for supper tonight.
  • Meyer lemon finishing salt.
The recipes for the infused vodka and finishing salt can be found here.
The recipe for lemonade is here.

How about you? Have you cooked with Meyer lemons? Do you have a favorite way to use them?

Maybe now I need a fig tree?


1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I miss my lemon tree. I never had any specific favorite recipes, just used them with whatever I had on hand.

    Definitely get a fig tree!

    ReplyDelete