inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

travels there and back







Last week I traveled to Indiana.  After serving three consecutive three year terms, I have followed best practices, embraced term limits and retired from the board of trustees of a small liberal arts college. Bittersweet indeed. The folks I've had the honor of working with are some of the finest I know. My life has been deepened and enriched by the work we did together.  LIBERAL ARTS EDUCATION may be a dying tradition in this country, but I believe our survival depends on her embrace.  Time will tell.

A classmate of mine from that very same school works at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art in Indianapolis, and over the years, I had been meaning to visit. I travelled out to Indiana a day early and had lunch and a very fine tour with Martha. How wonderful it was to reconnect with an old friend and to discover a gem of a museum as well!

Bark, beads, feathers, claws, bones and rushes...such ordinary things, transformed into such beauty. The galleries at the Eiteljorg are filled with a subtle spirit...hard to capture in words, but I could feel it in the darkened spaces holding these sacred pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment