inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

seeking perspective, a story about beets

We've planted gardens on this land for nine years now. Many of those years we were part-timers, coming up to our "bit of earth" when we could manage it. Ever since we became full-time Vermonters we've loved being here for the whole growing season...from planting to harvest. We've never had trouble with deer. 

Well, this summer our luck has changed. Several times we have found the beds overrun with hoof marks. In early August the deer trampled and chewed on my precious indigo crop. I nearly cried when I discovered the damage. But, indigo is resilient and much of it has grown back.

Rows of chard, beets and lettuce were chewed to the ground. Batman, fueled by his optimistic attitude planted new rows and crossed his fingers for a late fall harvest. This morning, I went out to water (it is dry here) and noticed that every beet green had been trimmed off and many of the globes had been pulled from the dirt. 

So, I gathered them up and rinsed them and left them in a bowl on the counter. I went off to do other things to distract myself from the frustration.

I know those sweet fawns we see out in the meadow in the early summer grow up to be hungry deer. I just hoped they'd find what they needed out in the acres and acres of field and woods that spread out all around them. 

Now we will need to consider ways to protect next summer's gardens.

Later today I'll cook up those little beets and put them in a jar to marinate. They will find their way into salads and bowls of grain. 

And I will reluctantly send a tiny bit of gratitude to those lovely long legged neighbors for trimming the beet greens for me, releasing my frustration into the ether. There is just too, too much going on in the world right now to hang on to negativity.

Exhale....

No comments:

Post a Comment