inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, March 14, 2019

sanctuary in books

Have you been finding sanctuary in books like I have?

I've loved wandering through this especially deep and dark winter with Ted Kooser. His words have so often been a reflection of what's going on here at our bit of earth...both outdoors and in my heart. Reading his collection of winter poetry has become an annual tradition for me.

I was listening to Weekend Edition on NPR a while back. I was washing dishes and had to take a deep breath in and out when the tears started to come. A school principal makes sure all her students get a bedtime story by reading aloud...online. Listen here. 

And how about the little boy who grew up in a library in New York City? Literally! Listen to the StoryCorps magic here.

When my funky bookclub meets each month we share a potluck supper, crafted around the book. We have had some wonderful meals together and our conversations ramble from the book we've read, to current events, to family challenges and celebrations. Sometimes we'll even screen a book based movie.

And Mary Oliver's words have become even more precious in the last few months.

How about you, friends...are you finding some comfort in words these days?

xo

2 comments:

  1. I read Ted Kooser's Winter Morning Walks last year after you mentioned it here. Our family is in the midst of a health crisis, and it brought some comfort. I have read When Breath becomes Air and The Bright Hour. I'm reading and learning about what it's like to be ill and about grieving. Books are a refuge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always. By the way, did you ever receive the book I sent your way?

    ReplyDelete