inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, March 16, 2019

still sewing, 'cause there's no sowing yet!

FIRST- Please know that I have not been ignoring your comments! I have not been able to leave comments on other blogs, either. I am in the midst of a technologic snafu that I cannot figure out. I plan to head down to our library on Wednesday afternoon, where there is a tech guru available for free help. I may bake her some goodies if she has the answers to my problems!
Recently, a small gallery space was created in the lobby at the gym where I work hard. There are three of us who work out together in the morning who are also quilters. We were invited to hang some of our work for the first installation in the space. Above, you can spot some of my quilted wallhangings..."Up on Braintree Hill", "Orion" and "Meadow's Ebb".
 "Be the Light" hangs close to the front door of our gym space.
This stunning bed quilt was stitched by my friend Lee. She calls it "I Miss Belmian's", and we all miss that sweet little five and dime store that closed on Main Street down in town. It sold fabric, underwear, embroidery floss, kitchen goods, cleaning supplies, cards, office supplies (and maple creemees from a window in the summertime).
This little quilt was sewn by my friend Susan, who works down in Woodstock at Billings Farm . Susan is part of the book club I enjoy, and dang, she knows how to cook for our potluck suppers.
This is Susan's too, above. I confess my heart skips a beat when I come in from the cold and stomp the snow off my boots and catch sight of these quilts hanging together, evidence of deepening friendships I have here in Vermont.
This week I sewed up the next block for our VTMQG block of the month. It's called "Half-Timbered".  I see those pesky puckers where the paper piecing had to be "unched" just a bit to get things to line up...and I plan to tame them when it comes to quilting time! 

I saw somewhere that today is National Quilting Day, for what it's worth. Just like "International Women's Day" I think one single day a year is entirely inadequate to handle the energy of both women AND quilting. But, hey, no one asked me. :-)

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea. Your gym obviously recognises the fact that human health isn't only made up of physical exercise, our brains need to stretch as well. I so love your 'Be the Light' quilt; it is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilts look wonderful and what a fun venue for them! I had to laugh at your "pesky puckers" because I would never have noticed them. That block is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete