inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

lightening up

The snow tires have been swapped out, the screens are in the windows again, Batman has been busy puttering in the yard and the snow on the hills across the valley is finally gone. Our garlic, planted last fall, have stretched their sweet sprouts up to the sunshine. 

It seems that Vermont has greened up overnight, and folks all over town are grinning. We compare notes on which roads have the worst frost heaves and mud ruts. We talk about how the sunshine and warm temperatures these last few days has felt a bit intoxicating. Sweet baby lambs are coming on strong. Lots of trees have set their catkins floating in the breezes, the sugar maples are showing their haze of soft red buds. The pussy willows have popped and turned a cheery yellow with their pollen. This morning a bluebird flew over the meadow. We are hoping our bluebird boxes are welcoming enough to keep them close.

As nature freshens up, life seems lighter too. I worked myself into three days of the 100 day project and then honored my gut and let it go. It just wasn't resonating and it felt like an unnecessary burden. Poof. No guilt. Gone.

My sewing studio is tidied up. Spring projects have been prioritized and organized. The sweet little eyelet collar (above) is leftover from the days when I was sewing for my own kids. It had yellowed with age, and so today I soaked it and now it is fresh and ready for a new incarnation. This afternoon I cut out a Geranium Dress from some very pretty fabric I've been hoarding. I finally have a (mostly) free day tomorrow and I can't wait to sit at my dear Bernina to get sewing!

For so very many reasons, this past winter felt heavy and oppressive and challenging. What a relief it is to feel the weight of it lifting. And to feel hope and possibility once again.

How are things at your place, friends? What are you looking forward to?


1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Karen. It's late autumn here and I'm busting to light the first fire but the cooler weather is dragging it's heels.

    ReplyDelete