inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, March 28, 2010

maple sugaring

batman and i headed to our "bit of earth" 
for an r&r weekend.
this morning, we drove over to turkey hill farm
with our friend ellen for maple open house weekend.
this is the huge evaporator.
and here is the sap turning into the magical syrup.
to learn all about the process click here.

we met some really wonderful people...
turns out, the whole process is a very social time.
the fire needs to be stoked,
 the temperature of the syrup needs to be monitored
and it's a 24/7 undertaking.
neighbors stop by to chat and there's lots of good food around.

we have lots of maples at a "bit of earth",
so maybe someday...


4 comments:

  1. That hill would be nice for a gravity-driven system. Looks like it's time to draw up plans for the sugaring shack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tapped my one sugar maple last year and made my own syrup. Very satisfying, but I was afraid I'd blow a coil on my stovetop! Now I understand why ya need a sugar shack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it smells so wonderful, especially in an old-fashioned sugar shack with a maple-wood fired evaporator!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place where you live. Make your own maple sirup......

    ReplyDelete