inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, June 21, 2010

solstice/summertime

Henry and I are not big fans of the summer.
Fall is the best, we do like the winter, and spring is lovely.
But summer with its heat and humidity...
we say yuck to all that. 
So as Henry zones out,
I am thinking about ways to embrace the summer.
  • enjoy our time at our "bit of earth"(we are so blessed and lucky to have it).
  • visit the State of Craft exhibit in Bennington.
  • read some books that have long been on my list.
  • sew, sew, sew.
  • weed, water and eat from the garden.
  • write snail mail.
  • grocery shop at Hunger Mountain Co-op.
  • sip wine on the deck and watch the mountains fade into dusk (watch fireflies).
  • attend our niece's wedding in Madison, WI in August.
  • revisit Bread and Puppet.
  • go with Gretta to the Merck Forest sheepdog trials
  • listen to the night noises through open windows.
  • eat local tomatoes, corn on the cob and other summer delights.
  • host family and friends in the guest room, the three season porch and tents!
  • stroll on the road, camera in hand.
  • listen to VPR, morning, noon and night (especially "an eye on the sky").
So maybe summer will be OK,
after all.

What are you looking forward to this summer?
It would be such fun to hear from you...
Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I love your summer to do list! It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful summer to me. I'm looking forward to nights around the campfire with friends; harvesting our first tomatoes, meeting my soon-to-be SIL; going to the 1st Annual Boston Chantfest next Saturday; studying with Vasant Lad; spending some time in Maine; and ending the summer with my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a very, very good list!
    hoping to head to maine in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sound like glorious summer plans! We don't have fireflies here in Utah. I miss them. We're going to Iowa in a couple weeks, so I should get my fill of fireflies and... mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. finally the rain has quit and we are out learning to golf...but, the mosquitoes!! Yikes!

    I prefer it to be about 20C with a slight breeze..... today was +27C... and a bit hotter than I like it...but, eh...what the heck... it's better than cold and rainy... and we only have so few months of summer...I guess we take what we can get and should be happy for it.... I do prefer warmish spring and fall days too though...

    ReplyDelete