1 1/2 cups elbow pasta (multi grain pasta vs. white is an ongoing Reed family controversy)
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 pound cheddar (vermont, of course)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups milk
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Cook elbows, according to directions on box. Drain, place in buttered casserole.
- Heat butter in double boiler. Add flour, salt and pepper and blend.
- Add milk slowly until sauce thickens.
- Cut cheese into cubes, add to sauce.
- Stir constantly until cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over elbows and top with crushed crackers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Gretta and I were driving home from VT today, and I asked her what she wanted for supper. I told her she could have anything, and she wanted this "comfort food". Then, I was talking with Lindsey on the phone, and when she heard that we were having mac and cheese for supper, she asked me for the recipe.
So, I thought I'd share it here. It's from my Mumsie's recipe file and just like my dad, we always eat it with ketchup.