inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, August 28, 2015

just now


friday afternoon snacking (a rare cheese treat) on my great-grandmother's sewing table (do you see the yardstick measurements?)

For the first time since I was 13 years old, I am not involved in volunteer work.  For the first time ever, ever,  I do not have a pet under my care. (I picked up Henry's ashes yesterday). My four children are long gone from our home. I find myself in this very odd, disconnected place.

Recently,  Batman and I have put most of our possessions into storage and we have moved downstairs to two rooms (back bedroom and sewing studio) in our finished basement and utility room. After this weekend, we will be cooking outdoors or on a one burner hot plate. Our bathroom sink will also be where we wash vegetables from our gardens and dishes, of course.

We half jokingly call this our "monastic phase". What we are really doing is manifesting a dream. Our dream of creating a snug and cozy home where we can welcome friends and family, process the bounty from our gardens and launch ourselves into the next chapter of our lives. 

Right now, in our side yard, our new second floor has been build. In a few weeks, our roof will be torn off, and the second story will be lifted by crane and set gently on top of this funky little cabin. The interior walls of the main floor will be torn down, creating our long-dreamed of  living/dining/ kitchen space...all melting into one another...because that is how we love to live. Oh, and the new windows will invite our gorgeous view right into our home. Can you imagine?

I already have ideas about where to put my volunteer energies, how to jump into the next chapter of my creative life and how to open our home to others.

But for right now, as my brother Nelson says, I will just "be". And that will be enough. 

Happy weekend, friends. xo

8 comments:

  1. I love that term - monastic life! Enjoy it for it's short duration....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're snug in your chrysalis, Karen. Such good things to come, but for now, yes, just be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These transitioning times are so exciting. While you are cocooning in two little spaces, there are so many layers of transformation. Ah, the monastic spaces seem to be the most fertile place.

    The sewing table is a gem. I wonder how the yardstick feature came to be inscribed on the table. Was it a custom feature answering a request by the owner. Or, was the yardstick there because it came with the the builder's idea of what this table would need? I just wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! Can't wait to hear where you decide to spend your time and talents while you also enjoy your bit of earth expanded (in love and size).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to watching your rebirth~

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck with the build, I like the idea of just being....enjoy the stillness and I look forward to coming with you on your future adventure. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the most difficult days are those in which we must be still and allow things to move along as needed without trying to "lend a hand." In the words of a favorite Brit…
    "let it be."
    a monastic phase has its purpose, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for your loss. Adjusting to life without a (furry) member of the family is a hard transition. Be sure and post plenty of pictures of your renovations! As a homemaker with two young children, I feel like I've fallen behind because I don't know how to create an inviting atmosphere without investing lots of energy.

    Van Lucas @ JPC Custom Homes

    ReplyDelete