inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

making, reading and writing in february




  • MAKING THINGS. Like turmeric lemonade (rich in anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties). I used raw honey from our CSA over at anchor light farm. Recipe from Amy Chaplin's at home in the whole food kitchen, one of my ongoing favorite cookbooks. It looks like sunshine in a pitcher!
  • READING. Just finished When Breath Becomes Air. Quite a fine read. Find it here or at your local library. I'm in the middle of Krista Tippett's new book, Becoming Wise. If you are feeling weary of current events, this book will help you find some hope. I used Vermont's excellent inter-library loan system to borrow a copy.
  • WRITING. Post cards to folks in Washington, D.C.  I've been thanking some and sending some a piece of my mind. I'll let you guess who's who. 
  • SEWING. A baby quilt is in the planning stages, for a newborn in Indiana. A wall hanging to celebrate a wedding that happened in January is on the cutting mat. Some mending, a birthday gift or two and something for our VTMQG challenge (and it is a serious challenge!)
  • PLANNING the garden and ORDERING seeds. (Batman is pining for a roto-tiller!)
  • DONATING blood. An offering in memory of Erin.
How about you? Do you have any book recommendations? Recipes to try? Projects you're working on? 

How are you finishing up the short month of February?

6 comments:

  1. Such vibrant colours in this post Karen! I like the sound of turmeric lemonade. I am going to try and grow some turmeric as a house plant this year. I don't have any book recommendations but have been reading books written in the 17th century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! Let me know how your turmeric grows, Simone! That would be such a fun indoor crop!

      Delete
  2. Which is the strongest flavor in your lemonade....turmeric or lemon. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suz, the drink is quite flavorful. The turmeric is strong, I think I'll reduce the amount a bit next time I make it. It also has fresh ginger and orange juice in it...so healthy!

      Delete
  3. Lately I've been listening to "The Warmth of Other Suns" while sewing. It's heartbreaking but necessary to learn about the true story of northern migration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This has been recommended to me by others. It's on my list! Thanks!

      Delete