inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

inviting you in

pondering the possibilities here,
tossing a few treasures together.
quietly.


OK friends.

I woke up this morning to find that "our" president had mocked Christine Blasey Ford at a rally and that the crowd behind him roared with approval. And that his finances are turning out to be as rotten as we suspected them to be. I am so done with railing against this man.

When I first started writing here at sewandsowlife, way back in January 2009, I included these words in my sidebar. They are still there.


Life can sometimes be a wrestling match between love and fear. 
We can CHOOSE which to embrace. 
Every day. 
On my "to do" list? 
Breathe, hope, notice, invite, love, create, wonder, celebrate.

Don't get me wrong. I will still work to make positive changes here in my neck of the woods. I will continue to persist. 

But for the next few months, I will pour Light and love and hope into this quiet little spot on the internet. I'll pull together a few sweet little things even on the darkest days.

Today I have two treasures to share...

Do you follow Pamela Zagarenski on Instagram? Otherwise known as "sacredbee", her artwork and greeting cards are filled with lovely quotes and beautiful images.  Her message today just took my breath away. Lyrics from an anthem from my teen years, by The Youngbloods, combined with a quote from Rumi and a gorgeous image of her own just calmed me right down. Check her out. Poke around her website and read about her inspiration...it's quite a story. Maybe she will become one of your favorites too.

And I just can't resist sharing something a little personal. Our daughter Lindsey has been working at a magical place in Detroit called "Sister Pie" for a while now. She has cut back her hours to begin work on her master's degree, but she still spends two days rolling dough and dancing in the Sister Pie kitchens. Here are two delightful Instagram posts with Lindsey front and center... ONE, TWO. Yesterday the fabulous SISTER PIE cookbook was released into the world! Read about how this special little bakery runs their business here. You can find information about the cookbook if you scroll around a bit. (Liz, if you are reading this, I already ordered you a copy for your birthday. Lisa will sign it and it will be on its way to you soon). When Batman and I visited Detroit in March, before Lindsey was even working there, we ate pie there. Dang, it was fine pie.

So, friends, are you in?

Are you up for some hope, some beauty, a respite?

This will work so much better if you jump in with me! Send me links that you have stumbled upon, either by email or in a comment here. Share your inspiration, your thoughts, your resources!

From Sacredbee...

"Now is the time to know that all that you do is sacred" -Hafiz

7 comments:

  1. I so appreciate your posting and your positive comments. I have been focusing on looking at all that brings me joy and avoiding the negativity that seems to be so prevalent in society now. I have hope for our country and the people and this time in history will be recorded as one of our darkest times. We have come here to learn and for some, they are failing poorly in their lessons.
    On a more positive note, this past Sunday's addition of the Detroit Free Press had a front page article of sister pie's cookbook in the Sunday Life section. Gorgeous photos and recipes included in this story written by Susan Selasky.
    A quote from Edward Abbey...Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while, then a layer of scum floats to the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do so love your quote at the end here, Linda! And thanks for the info on the Free Press article.xo

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful idea! One of my favorites on Instagram is the artist https://www.instagram.com/augustwren/ I hope that works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you, Karen. I can't even believe the state of things politically in our country, how it keeps getting worse and worse and worse. There is only so much we can do in that realm, but there is endless possibility for us to bring light and beauty and love and joy to the world.

    I've been thinking of you as I recently read a couple books by baker Louise Miller that take place in a small town in Vermont. The new one, The Late Bloomer's Club was a comforting delight.

    Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing... Abigail Halpin, one of my very favorite artists, has just illustrated a new early reader version of the beginning of Anne of Green Gables called Anne Arrives. I've ordered myself a copy and can't wait to see it in person.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the book recommendations! The Anne book looks very sweet. (Anne with an "e" is one of my all time favorite book characters). xo

      Delete