inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, November 3, 2018

old friends and new friends in november





These gloomy days just won't quit this autumn! But how I do love this time of year, when our beloveds who have left us feel so close that they are nearly with us. The veil is truly thin. I do so love to take time to remember them...My dad’s way of seeing color and form in the natural world, my grandmother’s aura where I always felt welcomed, Abi Tim’s wide circle of love, Abi Joan’s zest for life, Erin’s youthful Light, Great Aunt Margretta’s twinkling personality, Caleb’s exuberance, beloved pets...the list grows longer every year, and for that I am sad. But to have known them and to have loved them...that is where the magic is. Who are you remembering today?

And at the very same time we are missing people, new folks come into our lives. Yesterday I drove down to King Arthur Flour (maybe you all think I live there?) to meet Vicki G who is taking a few classes there this weekend. She is a sewandsowlife reader who lives in Illinois. She got in touch with me earlier this fall to let me know she'd be in Vermont in November. We spent about 45 minutes chatting over our mugs of coffee. We talked about our mutual love of Vermont, quilting (she's a quilter!), baking and the state of the world. By the time she had to head off to her gathering at 5, I felt certain I had made a new and dear friend. 

These are the things we need to remember, friends...
  • as we lose people, new folks come along to form new bonds.
  • as we feel challenged by our times, we can be reminded that we may find kindred and like minded spirits if we simply reach out (with a phone call, and email, a bit of snail mail...)
  • even as these gloomy days plod on, there is comfort to be found, sitting in the circle of light from a lamp...stitching, reading, listening, chatting, writing...
If the sun comes out tomorrow (finally) as forecast, Batman and I will be able to finish a really sweet project. And there's been so much sewing going on that I haven't been able to share with you...I will, SOON!

Happy Saturday, dearest readers.



2 comments:

  1. These dark days of November can be somewhat overwhelming, but so much to do inside. A time to catch up. Nice to see the pic of milkweed. It has disappeared from our property and I miss it. Attending a 100th birthday party today for my uncle. I wonder where we were as a nation in 1918?

    ReplyDelete