inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, November 30, 2018

recovering from the storm

 Trees and wires down on our road,
a common scene all over central Vermont.
 The hard working linemen from Green Mountain Power,
 worked their tails off for days on end.
In the midst of the storm that was still raging, these guys
ventured up into the woods and across meadows, 
with 12-16" of snow on the ground,
tracing the power lines to the multiple sources of trouble.
They worked outside our home in the pitch dark
and ongoing snowfall for an hour on Tuesday.
 Despite the inconvenience over the last few days,
I was moved to pull over to the side of the road,
get out of my car and lift my arms in worship.
Mother Nature is such a gorgeous goddess.
We melted snow on the Home Comfort and 
used the water to flush the toilet.
We shoveled and shoveled and 
took note of the trees and branches that will 
need to be cut down as soon as we can manage it,
(the stand of lovely birches in the side yard will have to go,
I am a bit broken hearted about that situation).
I drank a lot of hot tea
and wore more layers than usual.
I went down to town to check on email once a day.
I did hand sewing and read a lot and
 liked being disconnected a bit!
We sat in the evenings by candlelight and
 fell asleep earlier than usual.
Having no phone was a little disconcerting, 
but that's been resolved, too.

We were at a meeting in Barre last night that included
a hot dinner (much appreciated!)
Driving home, we noticed that 
lots of folks in our neighborhood had their 
lights on and as we came around the last gentle curve
in the road and I saw a light at our house 
twinkling through the trees 
and I let out a whoop of delight.

Nothing like a "snow event" to remind us 
of the many things we take for granted.

I thought about Laura and her Little House in the Big Woods 
more than once this week.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment