inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, September 23, 2019

an art swap

I have a friend whose 8 year old son is a gifted artist. This summer, his work was exhibited in town. I really fell in love with this piece, so I asked him if we could do an art swap. He graciously agreed.
I copied his piece and enlarged it and traced it onto lightweight fusible interfacing. After some flipping and thinking and flipping some more, I somehow managed to get things just right and fused it to some black Kona cotton and then cut out the pieces and fused them onto some white fabric.
Then I stitched very close to the edges with black thread. Once everything was stitched down, I added batting and a backing and quilted with simple straight lines.
I embroidered some of the details, used black yarn for the hair, and I sewed real buttons down the front of the shirt.
Here is a copy of Broder's drawing and my quilted wallhanging side by side. This was such a fun project and when we swapped our pieces, Broder had just come back from a visit to NYC. He had seen some pieces by Picasso at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and we had quite a conversation about that artwork.

And now it is the first day of autumn and my heart is happy. It's my favorite season, and the colors are already beginning to turn here in Vermont.

And did you hear Greta speak at the UN Climate Action Summit?  Read about it here.  So good.

4 comments:

  1. Love your execution of an amazing piece of art by an 8 year old artist. This is one talented child.
    Glad to see you are back blogging. I always turn to your posts for a hopeful message, wisdom and thought provoking ideas. Keep up the good work, I'm here reading and listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Oops, unknown is me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for explaining your process. So well thought out and executed, Karen. This boy is indeed talented! As are you. Happy autumn.

    ReplyDelete