inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, February 13, 2010

a lifelong love of learning

I had a conversation in the spring of 1977, that I have carried with me ever since. It was one of those conversations that comes back to you in its tiny details, like the slant of the light, the place, the time...clear as if it happened yesterday. I was studying in London, and reading the romantic poets.  One  long weekend, our class went on holiday and walked the paths of the Lake District. Our professor led us up to the top of Loughrigg Fell and suddenly all those words we had been reading in the classroom had a context. The views were spectacular, the wind was bracing and I felt so, so close to Mother Nature. The inspiration for all that wonderful poetry was right under our noses!

As we walked back down the hill to our bus, my professor and I matched our steps and he commented on my wide eyed wonder.  I talked about how my trimester abroad was changing me.  And my professor said to me, "You know, Karen, that the only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your education". 


That was an "ah-ha moment" for me.

(And so, here I am, back at my beloved Earlham College, the place that changed my life in oh, so many ways. I love working with my good hearted colleagues to carry the mission of this fine school forward.)

5 comments:

  1. Umm, wow. Were you just eavesdropping on my teary dinner conversation with J? We were listening to some students talking at the table next to ours and J turned to me and said, "Smart kids!" And I nodded and sighed deeply. I would really like to go back to college to finish what I started many years ago — a degree in English (writing) and Relgion. But as I explained to him (as if he doesn't know!), I already have an excellent career, so how important/realistic is it really to give my life that kind of upheavel? But then I added that it feels important to me. That quote is certainly an a-ha moment for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.
    Wonderful to feel connected to a school like that.
    Loved your moment on the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful, Karen. Such wise words from your professor - no wonder they stayed with you.
    Hope you're enjoying every moment at Earlham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lives you and Peter have led speak volumes for Earlham - what an inspiring place it must be. Wishing you well with your work keeping it well and thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be very satisfying to help keep such a special institution thriving and strong!

    ReplyDelete