inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

it's summertime and i'm finally getting around to some things

i finally painted this sweet shelf that batman made for me
a few years ago and decided where to put it 
(in a corner of our VT bedroom).
please do notice the little balsam tree cutouts!
i finally baked a loaf of buttermilk rye bread,
using the recipe from 
super natural every day,
by heidi swanson.
there had been a bookmark on this page for ages.
(next time i will be more careful with my measuring.)
and i finally sat down at my sewing machine for the 
first time in a week or so.

(i also enjoyed attending a meeting of the local garden club,
complete with a program on edible flowers.
i've never seen a prettier salad.
and how about day lilies stuffed with chicken salad?)

what, dear readers, have you finally gotten to this summer?

p.s. i appreciated all of your sweet comments about caleb's celebration. 

6 comments:

  1. Enlarging the photos helped for me to see the cut-out balsam trees. So cute. I liked having a chance to see the books that occupy your living space. Am wondering if the bread paired with soup, salad, a garden tomato or meet with a toaster. It has great eye appeal.

    Are those new napkins from you and your sewing machine? I may be inspired to pull out my Bernina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning that the lazy, carefree summers of my youth are much different as an adult with two small children. Organizing camp, swim lessons, visits with friends . . . as much as I love the togetherness, it's a lot of work! Fall will be when I get back to doing what is on my list of little projects. Though, I don't think my list is long enough to fill the long 8 hour days of their first full school day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh glad you mentioned the cut outs...oh so nice...great guy
    you are loved
    ah summer...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are finally going on holiday abroad for two whole weeks on 23rd...hubby hasn't been away abroard for 6 years! I really hope he relaxes and I am sure we will.
    I love the little shelf, he did a great job and you did too!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know you could eat daylilies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All good things!
    Love the shelf, wish I could taste that bread, and oh, what lovely fabric!!!
    You are always working on something special and healthy, Karen!

    ReplyDelete