inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, January 6, 2014

florets and cubes and integrity

This recipe for a Winter Abundance Bowl called my name the minute I saw it. Sarah Britton authors a wonderful blog, My New Roots, and her post about this recipe is worth a read. Her photos are gorgeous, too.

As I explore the different "neighborhoods" of my word for 2014, I am reminded again of the many aspects of integrity. Nearly every action we take is a chance infused with possibility to make better choices.

So last night I cut, chopped and smelled the colors, textures and scents of humble, healthy ingredients. As I rinsed the lentils and brown rice, their earthiness reminded me of where they had come from...the sweet ground and the farmers who tended their growth. The broccoli and sweet potatoes, fun little florets and small cubes, flirted together in the steamer. The red cabbage bled its gorgeous color onto the cutting board and, oh...the garlic-ginger pumpkin seed sauce...it filled the  air in the kitchen with its enticing possibilities!

This meal was a delight. Absolutely delicious, nourishing and satisfying. I recommend it to you.

The way we plan menus, shop for food (or grow it ourselves), prepare food, serve it, share it with others, clean up, use leftovers and deal with scrapings, stems and skins is filled with ways to be thoughtful. Every choice we make is an opportunity to match up our values with our actions. To live with integrity.

I won't knock you over the head with this theme all year long, I promise. I do look forward to sharing bits of the journey here, and reading about your work (thanks to those of you have shared your words in Saturday's comments). Anyone else want to hop in?

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed catching up with your beautiful, thoughtful posts, Karen.

    My word for 2014 is "realize".

    It's all about intention and attention, don't you think. I'm going to take my time making dinner tonight and be fully aware, thoughtful and grateful. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete