inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, February 26, 2016

little green sprouts





A few weekends ago we spent a day at the NOFA-VT annual winter conference held in Burlington. I had missed the last few years due to a calendar conflict, and was delighted to attend this year. Gathering with organic farmers, homesteaders, foodies and policy wonks is energizing and fun in the midst of a Vermont winter.

We have long enjoyed sprouting peas on the windowsill to toss into salads in the grey days of winter. We have upped our game since attending a workshop hosted by The Daily Gardener.We learned that soaking seeds in water first helps with the germination.  A dash of sea kelp and compost added to the germination mix boosts the growth and vitality of the sprouts. Keeping seeds under wet newsprint and in the dark for a few days helps them germinate. Once the sprouts have grown and been harvested, the nutrients and roots left behind in the soil boosts the quality of one's compost!

Adding buckwheat lettuce, sunflowers, radish and broccoli seeds to our usual peas has created some much appreciated diversity to our sprouting.

Clear and helpful instructions for sprouting seeds can be found at The Daily Gardener's website (above) . We bought our seeds from High Mowing Seeds (mail order) and at Hunger Mountain Co-op (store front).

If you are missing the salad days of summer, you might consider growing a variety of these beauties on your own windowsill. It's lovely to watch them grow and a bowlful of mixed sprouts, with a dash of vinaigrette makes for a delicious and nourishing side dish at supper time. 

Please let me know if you give it a go!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the inspiration Karen. I will certainly have a go at sprouting some seeds. I used to do this in glass jars years ago but will try it in an organic compost. I hope you have a lovely weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed sprouts for a few years now but admit that all those I grew this winter went to the chickens to boost their vitamin intake and offer green in a green-less environment.
    I took a class at the Chicago Botanic Garden given by Bill Shores who works with Rick Bayless. (http://urbanedible.net) In concert with indoor micro green gardening he uses a worm composting system that allows him to recycle and reuse his soil. I'm thinking of building my own worm system this summer. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy High Mowing's sprouting seeds at my local Co-op. I especially like the middle eastern batch. I don't do any of the extra things - just soak overnight and drain. Then rinse in cold water till sprouted. Easy peasy and delicious. I don't even put them in anything. I just eat them up!

    ReplyDelete