inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

adventuring!


At the Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.

Last Wednesday, Batman and I climbed onto Amtrak's Vermonter and 11 hours later we hopped off in Washington DC. Would you believe it if I told you that I have never been there before? Well I haven't. And do you know that I spent the next few days channeling my wide eyed 8th grade self? We covered a lot of ground and took a bunch of pictures. I'm dreaming of crafting a little book for myself, with notes, photos and doodles, prompted by all the history and art that we saw. My brain has been swimming with ideas since we got home late Monday night. (And we have a list of things we want to see next time we go, for there is so much more to explore!)

Look for a post about snail mail here in the next few days, maybe one about baskets, and one about wonder. At least. :-)

Have you been to Washington, DC? What were your favorite sights? How did you save your memories?

3 comments:

  1. Great photo! Sounds like you have been energised by the sights and sounds of Washington DC. A little book about the trip will be great for capturing the memories and wonderment you felt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to DC three times. The first time when a junior in high school on a trip with my class that herded us through as much as possible in a few short hours. Flew to New York, riding a bus to DC with frenzied stops in historic places before flying back from the capital, all in a few short days. I went again for 5 days with my best friend immediately after graduating from college. We rented a car which I drove (that's another story!) and spent every day exploring and soaking in the sights. We also visited my ailing uncle who was in his last days at the US Soldiers Home Hospital there. He had one of my paintings hanging in his room. (The hospital asked if they could keep it when he died.) I haven't thought about that in years. I went the last time for the American Library Associations's annual conference several years ago and had the delightful privilege of being given a behind the scenes tour of the Library of Congress by one of their lead cataloguers who was serving on a committee with me. We got into the Senators' chambers and many other areas not open to the public. We did the tour at night, the city magical lit against the summer evening. I found a 4 leaf clover the first time I went and the very remnants of it are still pressed in a photo album. You can't help but be touched forever by the power of that city. Lincoln remains one of the most powerful of all. Where are the Lincolns of our times???

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had an inspiring trip! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete