inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Sunday, March 10, 2019

first things first

I've resurfaced!

Let's revisit the Accountability Challenge I set out in early February. How did I do? To be honest I had mixed results. I did finish "Maureen's cardigan", and it has really long arms...enough to cover my wrists and more! Such an exquisite treat that could only happen because this sweater is handmade. Commercially made sweaters don't even come close to this sleeve length.
I bought the bamboo buttons online from Katrinkles. You can find lots of really fun stuff made by Katy here. She's got needle gauges, stitch markers, buttons, custom tags and all sorts of other goodies for fiber artists.
I also got the next Block of the Month put together for the "Summer Sampler" by Fresh Lemon Quilts. It's called "Versailles".

I got two Tula Tuesday blocks sewn. You can see them here. I had hoped to get four sewn. Oh well. My enthusiasm for this project is running out anyway. I think I'll sew one more, giving me a total of 36. I'll be working on ideas on how to set them into a quilt top. Lap size, I think. It will be my "bit of earth" quilt. I'm thinking about making a little book, so that when you open the book the quilt block will be on the left hand page and the inspiration on the right hand page.
One project I did finish, which wasn't on my accountability list was embroidering another block for the Social Justice Sewing Academy. I stitched over a piece designed and glued down by a young person I will never meet. I have sewn a few squares for this amazing organization before, but this time I was asked to embroider a quote from Obama. I had just listened to an On Being podcast with Teju Cole who spoke at length about hope. (The episode is called "Sitting Together in the Dark", and you can find it here. ) I could not resist. I appliquéd the four letters over Obama's head and thought of all the kids who are pulled into learning about agency, oppression and finding their own voices through this intersection of fabric and empowerment. Whew!

I also got my homemade Valentine's cards into the mail...a smaller batch than usual, but it felt good to take some snail mail down to the postoffice in town on a freezing, snowy day. xo

I got my Handmade Joy Exchange gift into the mail (to India!) and will post about that when Anne gets her post organized. I struggled a good bit with what to make this year, but in the end I think it worked out just right.

Last but not least, (if you are still reading!), I did finish my quilt top, with lots of math help from Batman. I pulled fabrics from my stash and measured the pieces for the back and the piecing for that  will happen this week, if all goes well. Once that's back from the quilter, I'll do a "reveal".

So........

How about you Beverly and Vicki? If you got your projects finished up and would be willing to send pictures along I would be delighted to post them here. No pressure, just an invitation.

I will be here more often, I've got a nice list of things to share with you. Thanks for putting up with the ebb and flow here lately. This winter has really called on us to be gentle with ourselves, because it  has NOT been gentle out in the snow and cold and wind of this Vermont winter 2019!

Hope you are well, friends. xo

2 comments:

  1. Love your idea of a bit of earth quilt blocks book.
    And I'm eager to see what you sent to India!
    As to your upcoming "reveals" I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. February wasn't a kind month to me, and Karen, I failed miserably in my quest to finish outstanding projects. However, your success has given me a gentle nudge to fulfill my pledge even if is during March. Well done you, by the way.

    ReplyDelete