inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, May 2, 2019

an improv quilt that went to sweden

 This baby quilt just arrived at its destination in Sweden,
so now I can share it with you here.
Our Vermont Modern Quilt Guild had a challenge this winter.
We were invited to make something quilted featuring
Kona's color of the year "splash".
We were also instructed to use color theory when we chose our fabrics.
I missed the two meetings when the fat quarters were given out,
so I decided to wing it and find similar colors in my fabric stash.
The only fabric I purchased for this quilt was for the backing.
There are many sentimental and sweet fabric scraps sewn into this 
quilt top, including bits from maternity dresses
I sewed for myself 37 years ago!
I tossed a few bits of orange in here and there to 
illustrate "complimentary colors" in my color scheme.
I used Sherri Lynn Wood's book on improv piecing
to inspire me.
This quilt was so much fun to make!
Wonky and off-kilter and spontaneous.
Some of the corners are not even square.
And guess what?
The Quilt Police have not come knocking on my door!
This is officially my new normal.
I admire precision and perfection,
but I am a wabi sabi girl at heart...

2 comments: