inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, April 9, 2010

another recipe...granola

a jar for me, a bag for lindsey in boston, and a bag for hannah in indiana

earlier this week, lindsey reported that she had bought some granola
 at the store, and she said it tasted like cardboard!
she proposed a swap..some homemade granola for 
a handcrafted lino stamp. I said, "it's a deal!"

Here's the recipe I've been using for 35 years. When you make your own, you know exactly what goes into it. I use mostly organic ingredients. 

2 lbs. rolled oats
1/4 lb. sesame seeds
1/2 lb. wheat germ
1/4 lb.  hulled sunflower seeds
1 lb. chopped nuts, your choice
1 cup honey or maple syrup
1 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla

HEAT oil, sweetener, and vanilla until well mixed.
STIR liquid mixture with other ingredients. Mixture will be fairly dry.
PLACE mixture in a greased baking pan and broil (or bake) at 500 degrees, STIRRING FREQUENTLY, until golden brown. Watch carefully, it can burn quickly.

Sometimes I add 1/2 lb. raisins/currants or dried cranberries after I've cooked the granola.

Non fat yogurt, granola and fresh fruit is my go-to breakfast of choice.  Enjoy!

P.S. Melanie asked about the "#" symbol I had used in the original post....I have changed the "#" for clarification to "lb" or pound. Call me old fashioned!

6 comments:

  1. hmmm, I assume # stands for "cup"
    that is
    1/2 # = 1/2 cup
    yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum
    sounds like a good swap you made

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Reed, I used to make this YEARS ago. Brings back good memories!

    My birthday card is beautiful. Thank you so much. It's great to have such a clever, crafty buddy.

    Missing you lots today...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum, looks delicious. that trade sounds perfect!!!
    thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, of course.
    in my usual trade # means either "insert space" or "number."

    thanks for clarifying.

    the wv is: "praywoof"
    sounds like an imperative, so i think i'll go do that now.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo Bethany...and my tummy's growling for a snack!

    ReplyDelete