inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, March 18, 2011

a day filled with intention


I loved the idea of a day of silence for Japan when I first read about it. It is a powerful idea, and almost irresistible for someone like me. But I have been rethinking my participation in a day of silence for Japan, and for several reasons I have decided to stand aside. Instead, today I will do a bit of online research at Guidestar and Charity Navigator to figure out how best to make a small difference in the lives of those suffering under the shadow of so much tragedy.

And I will make time to be silent today. To meditate, to send hopeful and loving energy to Japan.

And I will try to be compassionate in my thoughts and actions as I go about my day here in Connecticut. For we are not in the midst of the suffering in Japan, but many of us, too, are heartsick and anxious.

And I will be looking for hope and wonder...the antidotes for fear and helplessness...the sunshine, the melting snow, the budding trees, the birdsong. I will open the door to the screened porch and wear a sweater agains the slight but delicious and fresh chill. I will listen to fun tunes, I will cook good food, I will smile at strangers and I'll do my best to carry on...

What are some of your intentions for the day?

2 comments: