inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

vegan adventure-week two

Our fabulous friend Liz has joined us for a few vegan suppers. She does gorgeous flower arranging, and for fun, she created this "vegan centerpiece".  We have been eating it ever since!

Week two of the vegan adventure was filled with yet more delicious food. Things got a bit more complicated, as Gretta has been home from college, and we have been traveling to see friends and family. On Monday, Lindsey hosted a vegan friendly pot luck in Massachusetts, and we found a restaurant with a vegan option for lunch when we visited my Mumsie. Then we were back in our Connecticut kitchen for a few days, where we tried a few new recipes. It felt like old times, with Gretta sitting at the kitchen island, chopping and chatting and listening to NPR with me. Hannah, who works in Ohio, was in NYC this past weekend, and we took the train in to meet her on Friday night for dinner at Blossom, a wonderful vegan restaurant in the Chelsea neighborhood. Then on Saturday, we headed to Vermont to welcome spring. We had friends over for dinner, and they loved the maple chocolate chip cookies that Batman whipped up. (Especially because it was Maple Open House Weekend in Vermont.We went back to Turkey Hill Farm this year to stock up from our local producer.)

So, what am I noticing half way through this workshop? I like using unrefined sugars, because they seem to keep my energy more level. I've been reminded of how much I prefer making fruits and veggies the center of our meals. I'm not missing meat at all, and I have been able to detour around all the dairy I thought I'd miss. I had a few french fries on the run and thought, hmm, "don't need those". Cooking this way does take some planning and a bit of prep, but I like the sense of organization it gives my late afternoons. I've also come to see that's the time of day I am most prone to snacking...so I am trying to be sure there are peeled, raw veggies available for a quick grab from the fridge.

Ready for week three...

6 comments:

  1. I would gladly choose maple syrup over refined sugar if I had to give one up. Any chance you might share a recipe for maple chocolate chip cookies? Your post sent me running for my VT Maple Syrup Cookbook, but alas, not there. Happy maple season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! We went to a maple sugar thing here in CT last weekend and the kids liked comparing Grades A and B. Of course, one liked one, the other another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great week! Enjoyed reading about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you for sticking to the vegan diet. I'd like to give it a try sometime. I'm not much of a meat eater, but I do like my yogurt and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As with any healthy eating, the planning and prep is what makes it so darn challenging. Not that the rewards aren't worth it. But I do think the easy fixability and relative low cost of refined foods, as well as the easy flavor/satiety qualities of meat, account for most of the dietary issues in this country. (Well, unless you want to get into the whole agribusiness discussion!) Someone could make a mint if s/he could figure out how to make varied and delicious healthy food fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful, Karen. I'm glad all your travels went well and that you were able to connect with family and friends, while finding ways to keep up with your program. BTW, that veggie centerpiece is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete