inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

quick vegan follow-up and pitch for real food

There were a few questions left in the comments and via e-mail after I posted the 30 day vegan wrap-up. 
  • I appreciate the question about B6 and folate. An important part of making any dietary change is learning about the consequences. I'm reading up on supplements, and learning more as I explore the options.
  • Chocolate cake? Hmmm...the vegan version was OK, but later this week, I may have to find a wee slice of the real thing. Just for special occasions...
  • Did we eat bread? Yes, but not much. We did enjoy multi-grain wraps and rice crackers.
  • Was there anything we missed or didn't like?  We tried two different versions of breakfast muffins that were a little disappointing. I do love the way buttermilk lightens muffins, and that might be the first place dairy would sneak back into my life. 
  • Were there any difficulties? We managed to find most of the foods we needed, and I'm happy that finding local, fresh and organic fruits and veggies will get easier as we move into the growing season here in New England.  
I'm trying to trust my intuition about what my body needs, to eat most things in moderation and to be gentle with myself as I make changes in what I eat.

If you are looking for ways to educate and/or inspire your food choices, I would recommend Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson. Have you ever had a book recommended to you by several people, and seen it reviewed or caught its cover out of the corner of your eye at the bookstore...all in a week's time? Well, that's what happened to me with this book. So, I listened to the universe and bought it.
It's a treasure trove of beautiful photos, wonderful and practical information about whole foods and tempting vegetarian recipes. The subtitle is five ways to incorporate whole and natural ingredients into your cooking. Her pantry tips alone are worth the purchase! 

If you don't think our nation's health is in distress, just spend a few minutes at the "food" court at your nearest mall. 

Simply eating less processed food is perhaps one of the best ways for all of us (vegan, vegetarian and omnivore alike) to move in a healthier direction. 

If you have used Heidi's book, or made any changes in your eating I'd love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my questions. I'll check out the book too.

    On another note, I'm loving this dramatic spring thunderstorm tonight, especially as the kids haven't noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are lots of ways to cut out unwanted saturated fat and cholesterol in your diet that don’t take the fun and flavor out of meal time. Butter is not your friend, what with its 8 grams of saturated fat and 11 grams of fat per tablespoon. Salsa is your good buddy though, with 0 grams of saturated fat and 0 cholesterol found in 1/4 of a cup. Creamy salad dressings are notoriously loaded with the bad stuff, while a reduced fat Italian sports only 2 grams of fat and tastes just as good.

    Healthy cooking tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice try, Dan. But you're barkin' up the wrong tree with your plastic surgery pitch...disguised as "healthy cooking tips". I'm gray haired and I've got wrinkles, and I'm happy that way. Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently read Mark Bittman's "Food Matters" and was inspired to try to eliminate processed foods from my diet 1 meal at a time. Breakfast has been pretty easy - wish me luck when I decide to tackle lunch!

    ReplyDelete