inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Saturday, April 16, 2011

so much love, you'll want your tissues

O.K. friends, I'm not even sure where to start with this story. 

But maybe this post about my friend, Potts, is a good place to begin. 

And then you need to know that like every single one of us, I have had some challenging times in my life. I've tried to make courageous and hope-filled choices, and I've usually been rewarded with enriching life experiences. 

But I've never screwed up the courage to do something as simple as donating blood. I'm not sure what that's about. In May, there will be another blood drive to honor our beloved Erin, but it's happening way out in Illinois. So, the other day, when I drove by our town's Rec Center and saw the sign announcing a blood drive, I felt called to donate in Erin's memory. 

I registered online, and sent the confirming e-mail to my dear friend Potts. I must confess, I was feeling a wee bit proud of myself.  Beware pride...it will smack you in the face every, single time. Potts wrote back to me, thanking me and telling me about her plans on that day. On the very same day that I am donating blood in Erin's memory, her mom, my friend, Potts is doing a very extraordinary thing. Read about it here.

I want more than anything to be by her side, to hold her hand, and tell her how much I love her. But  that is not possible.

Then I remembered something very wonderful that our youngest daughter, Gretta did for me when I went into the hospital to have my knees replaced (both knees, one month apart) when I was 50 years old. Gretta hand stitched a wonky little creature (right, above) for me to hold onto, complete with a wee heart stitched onto one knee. I hung onto that goofy charm in the darkest parts of the night, lying awake in the hospital, feeling so, so vulnerable. And what a comfort it was, to have that bit of love in my hand.

Well, I figured, if I can't be with my friend Potts on the day that she becomes my personal hero, yet again,  I can send her a goofy charm (left, above), just like Gretta made for me. (Please notice the kidney bean, stitched onto the charm). I hope it will bring her some small comfort as she navigates her newest adventure.

Please, dear readers, hold my brave and grace-filled friend, Potts close to your heart on Tuesday. Thank you so, so much.

7 comments:

  1. oh my you were right..a two hankie post
    But so filled with good
    and joy
    and love
    and friendship
    you are each others safe harbor
    I remember Erin's story and your tattoo
    you are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. my little treasure is sitting on the table next to me as i type this
    she tugs at my heartstrings, for I'm so sad that you live too far away yet so grateful that in spite of the distance I can always feel your hand in mine
    her little kidney bean makes me laugh... she's made of the bright green color erin loved... she's soft and comforting
    i LOVE her & i'll be holding her tightly and thinking of you as i recover.

    and reed, you are very very brave to donate blood, so don't you go minimizing what you're doing on april 19th! i think you're fabulous! my first time was only one year ago, and i did it as a result of my whole perspective getting slapped in the face as i watched erin receive too many transfusions. sometimes one needs a slap. your donation will help several people feel so much better after they receive your generous gift. erin used to feel like a million bucks after a "boost" - remember to ask them to draw from your "e" arm! you'll do just fine.

    i love you, my dear dear friend
    oh shoot, where's keenan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,
    Just left a comment for your friend Mary and I love the doll you made her. I'm sure she'll cling to it as you held on to yours. (And a wonderful idea!) My brother-in-law in California received a kidney from his brother several years ago, and it saved his life. He cannot speak about it without tears welling in his eyes. It is such a courageous gift. You are fortunate to have such a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog - I am so touched that my absence and return was noticed! Hope all is well with you - I am looking forward to catching up.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blinking back the tears.... Such amazing stories. I'll be sending love and light out on Tuesday:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read her story, what a courageous and lovely woman . Her brother can be proud of her.... Your present made with so much love, will help her , I am sure..

    ReplyDelete