inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

gathering gratitude

  • Sometimes I marvel at the twists and turns that my life has taken. Despite being an average student at Earlham College back in the 1970's, I have somehow found myself, years later, serving on its board...a deep and precious honor for me. Working with fine people to move the mission of the school forward is a blessing I hold close to my heart. Being part of Saturday's Inauguration celebrations was indeed a special treat. To read David Dawson's Inauguration Address, click here. It's a long read, but filled with hope and wisdom. 
  • Every time I am on the campus at Earlham, I remember how grateful I am to have met Batman there, in the fall of 1974. Seriously folks, what luck!
  • Hannah was able to come over to campus from her place in Ohio and we had some really good time to visit, both as a mother/daughter team and with some of her friends as well. As I walked across the heart after the ceremonies on Saturday, my phone rang and it was Stewart, just calling to check in. And Lindsey had spent the weekend at our place in Vermont with a posse of 11 (!) of her friends. She began a brand new job yesterday where she will be able to answer her call to to be working with teens. And I finally had a chance to catch up with Gretta (on the phone) who's still in love with Australia. Count them...four kids...all doing good things in the world. How cool is that?
  • We are in the midst of my favorite season, and I am soaking up the scent of the leaves underfoot, the bounty of autumn veggies on our supper table, the pinch of chill in the air and the magically filtered light that I can't seem to get enough of.
  • I've been yearning to find a way to gather my days, and I found a very sweet format (via Pinterest) that I think I'll try for a month or so, here.
  • As the days close in on colder weather and more indoor activity, here's a wealth of ideas for books, movies and music. Many thanks to a very sweet blog, "tiny happy".
  • Tomorrow I head back up to Vermont, to help my cousin Kristen and her partner, Gary move into a house they bought while visiting us this summer. I know! How crazy is that? Soon, we will be living about 7 miles from one another. We are three months apart in age, our Moms are sisters and I love her to bits. We haven't lived near one another since before we each went off to college. For this wonderful turn of events, I am most grateful.
What happens when you count your blessings? Do they tend to snowball, or do you struggle to find things to count? Sadly, living in this world can lead us in either direction...what are your thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. I love the idea of jotting down the good things from each day, what a lovely idea.
    I am planning to keep a sketchbook more next year and will put down the good things thanks for the inspiration!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all that is so tragically wrong in the world today, there is still so much to be grateful for. For me, that includes your blog, Karen. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know who you are, "a Friend of mine"...would you feel comfortable sending me an e-mail?

    Thanks, Lyn...your blog fills me with inspiration as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gratitude for wonderful bounties in your life made a deep impression on me, Karen. Today I will spend time reflecting on my own reasons to be grateful, which are many. Your posts are always reflective, illuminating and thought provoking. I know that, for one thing, I am grateful to have you as a friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely with Judy . My English is often not good enough to say what I want to say, especially when I read your blog. It's a pity that you don't speak Dutch.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy for you too, my friend. I can count some, but I have to say there's a bit of struggling going on to come up with as many as I once could...
    You would be among the blessings though.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gratitude list. Thanks for reminding us to count our blessings.

    And thanks for all your kind comments on my blog. I am definitely grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started a new commitment to my gratitude journaling last night. Going to do a person I am grateful for, an experience I am grateful for, and a goal for the next day! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete