inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, January 25, 2018

my big girl boots

Complaining about a problem without proposing 
a solution is called whining.
-Teddy Roosevelt

Oh yes. How easy it is to complain and whine these days. About so very many things. 

But.

What good does that do?

Uncomfortable with how much shelter I have found in complaining (not my responsibility, the problems are too big, why don't "they" do something...) I decided to put on my big girl boots and find some small thing I could do to contribute to bettering the lot of folks here in my neck of the woods. It took some time to discern where I thought I could help, and I did find some meaningful volunteer work...at just about the same time the work found me. Isn't that the way the best things happen?

This work is going to challenge my own status quo and I think there will be a bit of a learning curve. Part of me is a little apprehensive. That's a tip for me that I'm headed in the right direction. I am fascinated by the makeup of this board and the mission of the organization. My first meeting is tonight and I've been reading and thinking and making notes for days. Wish me luck.

Do you know Marge Piercy"s poem To Be of Use? You may read it here, via The Poetry Foundation.

I listened to an On Being episode the other day...The Call to Community in a Changed World. Krista Tippet spoke with Anand Giridharadas and Whitney Kimball Coe. Near the end of the session, Coe asks, "How do I show up in the world and in my community and beyond, and am I going to show up with an open mind, an open heart, and with curiosity?"

Being active and engaged in the outside world and at the same time, being solitary in my sewing studio seems to be a good balance for me these days. How about you, dear readers? How are you navigating these choppy waters?

(Also, I just updated my other blog, A Repository For Growth, a link can be found in the sidebar.  I hadn't been over there in ages.)

xo

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you!! Looking forward to hearing about the work. George Bernard Shaw had a similar sentiment to TR:

    This is true joy of life -- the being used for a purpose that is recognized by yourself as a right one, instead of being a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining
    that the world will not devote itself
    to making you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these words. Had never heard them before. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Vivien, for the words. xo

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you as you go forward with this.

    ReplyDelete