inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

august 2017-august 2018

the devil whispered in my ear,
"you're not strong enough to withstand the storm".

Today I whispered in the devil's ear, "I am the storm".

Revisiting the mantra of “strong mind, body and spirit”, I started working with a health coach in May of 2017 (FREE, through our local hospital!). As part of my conversations with Carolyn, I decided to get back to some formal gym training. Late last summer I wandered into our local, small town fitness studio and began working with Sarah, a gentle and supportive trainer. Recently, two more women have joined Sarah’s amazing training team. This week I am celebrating the one year anniversary of finding this supportive community of kindred spirits! 

That "plank with arm reach"? Yes, my palm could be directly under my shoulder, and I continue to work on form...but, dang, I feel strong! 

I recognize my privilege and I am grateful as heck to have access to this opportunity. I see my increasing strength as a very proactive part of my own unmedicated health care. My arthritis is easier to manage, my balance is better and I feel healthier all over. In a very real way, working out is part of my survival kit for 2018 (and hopefully, into the future, as well.) It's part of my plan for resistance and persistence!

This is a very rare "selfie" and I struggled with whether to share it or not. Celebrating is part of my mission here at "sewandsowlife", so that's what I'm doing! Thanks for humoring me, friends. And thanks to Sarah for taking the pic. :-)

(That pup, curled up in her bed next to me? That's rescue dog Lila, she keeps all of us on our toes).

4 comments:

  1. Keep whispering that in the devil's ear, my dear friend! I will keep it in mind and try to do the same when I hear him whispering in my ear.
    Love and blessings,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete