inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

taking time to reflect

Hello friends. It's steamy here in Vermont again. Do you see how hazy the view is? Not my favorite. We have been having supper on the deck, and linger until the sun sets over the foothills of the Green Mountains. Out here we can catch a breeze, if there is one. 
I've been thinking about patriotism and courage and democracy a lot lately. #notmypresident and the passing of Senator John McCain have me consulting and exploring my moral compass. So much to ponder. 

And then there are the real compass points in my life. These bring me joy and remind me of why we live here, nestled in this pastoral slice of New England.
 Looking south on our road, from our driveway.
Looking north.

Sometimes the heaviness of current events can sap my energy, just like this steamy, late August weather. I am reminded that in the midst of all this chaos, there are moments of sheer delight and lightness. It's a powerful thing to embrace the good that is still in this world. Here's a few links to help you find some...

We went to see Christopher Robin at the movies a few nights ago. It was wonderful. Maybe you have seen it too? Here's a preview.

Awhile back I found a very sweet book on sale. It caught my eye because it is called Wilma's World. Alas, it is about a dog named Wilma, (not a cat), but it's enchanting anyhow. Subtitled Good Advice From a Good Dog, it is full of wonderful photos of Wilma, captioned with lessons from this wise pup. You can read about the book here.

I've been guided lately by a few queries from Plain Living, a Quaker Path to Simplicity, by Catherine Whitmire.

  • Am I a grateful recipient of the gifts that life provides? How do I express my gratitude?
  • Do I live with a grace and lightness that makes joy and laughter part of my everyday life?
  • Do I live expectantly, watching and listening for life's "minor ecstasies"?

I find these to be valuable questions to consider as we navigate a world fraught with division and uncertainty. I invite you to find a few spare, quiet moments to sit in stillness and consider them, too.

Namaste, friends.

xo

(Tula Tuesday will return soon)

2 comments:

  1. I saw the previews to Christopher Robin and I plan to buy the DVD when it is available. And just to cheer you up. I read that the most popular politician in America is "our" Bernie.

    ReplyDelete