inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

marigolds and storms and courage


My friend Pauline (who I have dyed with) works at her family farm, Golden Russet Farm, over in Shoreham, VT. Batman and I drove up and over the gaps to visit the farm in the late spring. We had an appointment, wore masks and did not dilly dally when it was our turn to shop. We came for a very specific item. Indigo starts. :-) But I digress...

On Sunday, inspired by an idea Pauline had, I sat in an Adirondak chair on our front porch and strung marigold blossoms onto heavy thread and hung them just outside our breezeway. Once they have dried, I'll set them aside. I'll harvest a few more batches of blooms as the summer rolls along, and string them as well. Once the cooler autumn days set in, I'll pull out my dye pots and brew up a batch of sunny color to dip some cotton and linen into.

We have had an elderly birch tree leaning precariously over the road. Removing it has been on our "to do" list for a very long time. The forecast for driving rain and high winds coming with the tropical storm today lit a fire under our butts. Yesterday we went out to take the tree down. We were able to fell the tree, cut it up into manageable lengths and clear the road before a single vehicle came by. And that, my friends, is why we love our neighborhood. Batman cut it down and I stacked the 16" lengths by the side of the road. 

We really need the rain here in Vermont, but we are hoping things don't get out of hand. Many of us remember Tropical Storm Irene with great trepidation. We have done everything we can to prepare for the storm. We invested in a generator this past spring and may be glad we did. Our pantry is still in good shape, as we have kept it well stocked during the pandemic. Lawn furniture has been put away and most windows are shut tight and latched.

Farmers have been haying in earnest, trying to get their bales in before the rain. Green Mountain Power is on high alert and warnings are going out about flash flooding and high winds. Various construction projects in the neighborhood are battening down their supplies and equipment.

If only we were as well prepared for the storms that are gathering around our upcoming election....

Voter fraud is such nonsense and pales in comparison the very real crime of voter suppression.
Our postal service has been hijacked by money and corruption.
A certain someone has CORONA virus blood on his hands, and he doesn't even realize it.
Dark times.

I have absolutely no interest in "getting back to normal".
I envison a more inclusive, just and joyous future.

Courage, dear hearts.

xo

2 comments:

  1. Now I want to string marigold flowers!

    Just when I think things can't get any worse I read the news and realize I shouldn't have thought so. Ugh. Some days it's very hard not to scream. Let's keep working towards joyous, just and inclusive!

    I hope the storms aren't as bad as they're predicting. Stay safe.

    xo

    ReplyDelete