inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, March 9, 2009

words














I have been rereading the diary written by Andy Goldsworthy while he worked on Stone River. This sentence captures so much. "My ephemeral work has taught me that all things in life are fashioned and compromised by the trade-off we make between ability, energy, and time."

And I have also been rereading and appreciating anew Elizabeth Alexander's poem, "Praise Song for the Day".  What a snapshot of a day, a time, a hope! Nearly every line she wrote invites a visual image, an inspiration, an invitation. I cannot get "love that casts a widening pool of light" out of my mind.

I love having words and ideas percolating as I move through life.  I think we do a lot of creative thinking as we attend to the chores and work of the day, sometimes subconsciously, sometimes "out loud".

What is percolating for you today?

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Karen. I did read the poem and found it energizing.
    I've linked to your blog on mine and offered you a little blogging perk.
    Know that you are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked her poem very much. And find the idea of a "praise song" intriguing...not only a song in praise, but traditionally, in Africa, the bard (was paid) to sing the praises of the ruler and to remind the people of their history, and the ruler's lineage.

    ReplyDelete