inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, March 12, 2010

growing things

Last fall, I read about growing "local citrus" over at The Simple Green Frugal Co-op. I loved the idea so much that I went online to order a Meyer lemon tree, then learned that it's just not a great idea to ship citrus trees in the winter (duh!).  A few weekends ago, I thought I'd try again, and this beauty arrived yesterday. Thank you so much, Thomas, for expanding my idea of "local"!             
 
These little beauties, printed on repurposed balsa wood, came from petitleaf etsy . I love them! Hop on over to check out Elizabeth's shop. Elizabeth was our daughter Lindsey's college roommate, and she's a very crafty girl. The two of them do paper art swaps through the mail.

Batman and I became a bit giddy last week, when our package from High Mowing Seeds arrived. We opened it up and yearned for all the goodies that will be coming out of the gardens up at "a bit of earth" this summer. This seems to be a symptom many of us are suffering as we gaze out at the snow piles yet to melt on the north side of our houses!

I even have grass seed, planted in a rectangular, flat pan, germinating on a sunny windowsill. I've been doing this for years, and I know it's a little loony. I seem to need freshly growing green things just about now.

(And the light and love I had for breakfast yesterday followed me through the day....)

Happy Friday, friends!

5 comments:

  1. I love your lemon tree! I don't think a lemon or citrus plant would like the temperature in my house, unfortunately. J's old boss has a giant greenhouse on his property, bigger than some people's houses. Inside there's citrus, ginger, vanilla...and orchids. He loves orchids. It's heavenly inside that building, crowded with greenery, and that smell.

    I think your grass idea is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that reminder about indoor grass - good therapy this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your lemon tree looks lovely! i've been tempted to get one after reading about Thomas's Meyer lemon marmelade!! I might have one spot on the windowsill where it would be happy...my "Christmas" cactus are starting another flush of bloom. Does Henry get to nibble the indoor grass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will love the lemon tree...we purchased 2 lemon trees from a garden center in Conn. over 30 years ago...one is a Meyer and the other a Ponderosa. The lemons from the Ponderosa were almost the size of a grapefruit! The fragrance from the blossoms and lemons is heavenly and it was so exciting to have lemons growing in the window plus they are very delicious!
    Our lemon trees are still going but have slowed down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! That one's a beauty! I hope she produces for you well! I can't wait to see you harvest your first fruit! It will be a very special occasion. :)

    ReplyDelete