inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

soaking in more of the best season

there's been a rustle, rustle in the neighborhood.
my birch friends, all quiet and autumnal.
here's a bunch of happy nubians.
we met them at trevin farms b&b,
where we took a goat cheese making workshop this morning
(thanks to lindsey's holiday gift).
kevin walked us through the process and convinced
us that raw milk is the way to go...
and had us thinking that maybe gretta IS right...
maybe we really DO need goats someday...

our rural "tool box" grows!

5 comments:

  1. Yes, raw milk!!! I have been driving 20 minutes out of my way to buy raw milk from a local organic farm (you can't buy it in the store here) and the more I find out about its benefits (and the controversy surrounding it) the more convinced I am that's it's the way to go.
    I'm not sure i've ever had goats milk, but they would be easier to have than a cow, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that was our problem - raw milk. Shel & I had very different results at home making goat milk cheese that we did at Heifer. How long did it take to separate curds from the whey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES PLEASE PLEASE GOATS!

    "Gee willakers, mom, can we keep it?!?!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Gloria had pet goats--very lovely critters (other than escape artists extraordinaire who preferred her rose bushes and azaleas to their "real" food). A friend of mine in quilting now has a small goat herd...started as her daughter's 4H project and has grown into a real business. And one of the vendors at the Farmers Market has a head of goats and brings wonderful fresh goat milk cheese almost every week and is eager to dispense wisdom about raising them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to get raw cows milk - it's just so far away to get there. I don't even like to drink regular store milk, but I liked that. and it was great for making yogurt.

    How did you cheese turn out?

    ReplyDelete