inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

fabric jelly roll and real blueberry tart

Seduced by the lovely colors and gorgeous batik patterns, I splurged, and bought this "jelly roll" from a vendor at last year's Vermont Quilt Festival. Jelly rolls are a clever marketing tool, allowing quilters to buy an assortment of cross cut strips of co-ordinating fabrics.
Alas, when I unrolled the fabric, I found that the strips had not been cut on the grain, but at a somewhat pronounced angle! ARG! Well, after a few deep breaths, I decided to cut the strips in half at the fold and just do the best I could. I ended up with a very "wabi sabi" patchwork, with sloppy seams and funky edges.
The piece now measures about 42"x60". Shall I add borders and batting and a backing to create a small quilt, or simply line it and use it as a tablecloth? Any other clever ideas?
Despite my disappointment with the jelly roll product, I've decided that I'll embrace the funkiness of the end result. And working with all these beautiful colors has reminded me of a fabulous book, Blueberries for Sal. Last night, I made an Etsy treasury to honor the story. Check it out here.
 
Look at this beauty of a tart! The girls picked the berries when they were visiting, and Lindsey came up with a fabulous maple syrup/lemon/blueberry combo, along with a yummy crust. Summer on a fork!

Looking forward to reading your suggestions for what to do with the patchwork...

10 comments:

  1. I like your quilt top, esp the colors, which doesn't look so crooked in the final product, but it seems busy for a table. Perhaps a wall hanging, esp in winter? Or as a light throw--I see it over a rocking chair or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the top is lovely as is. I love patchwork tablecloths, so I vote for that, but I also think it's the perfect size for a private picnic cloth. I have a few small ones made so that we can each sit on one while we eat and then lounge on them afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's too nice for a tablecloth. I agree with J that it would make a lovely wall hanging or lap quilt. Beautiful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you quilters..with your own language...hee hee
    my speaks it
    I think it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the jelly roll. You did a magnificent job with it. Def needs to be a small quilt. Would look so pretty on the back of a chair. I LOVE it.
    Love your treasury too.
    One of my fave books ever, along with One Morning in Maine.
    The tart looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The batic fabric is beautiful and I agree with the others, a perfect quilt to put on the couch, such wonderful colorcombinations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! Now I feel bad that the sewing machine I bought a year and a half ago is still sitting sealing in the box. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to make lemonade from some fabric lemons, Mom! It looks beautiful (and I love the new banner)! Can it be a quilt for VT so I can curl up under it sometime???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a sucker for tablecloths so I vote that:) I really want to eat that tart!

    ReplyDelete
  10. karen, my "post" disappeared....so send me some tart and i can rethink my post...picnic cloth is cool....xo tqoe

    ReplyDelete