inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, October 22, 2012

returning

lately, the work i do on two different boards has converged, 
leaving me little time to breathe,
but it has invigorated me in such wonderful ways.
one, a pre K though 12 school.
the other, a college.
what a blessing to be thinking and learning and stewarding
 along such a spectrum of educational formation.
 one leg of my journey home was on a prop plane,
which flew lower than a jet.
for 45 minutes i watched the late afternoon light 
flood across the autumn landscape below me.

i have been thinking about the value of committee work,
when many different people gather with their own ideas
and through time and respectful listening and discernment,
new and better ideas emerge from the whole group.
i wish it happened more often in this world.

i have one more day with a long "to do" list.
tomorrow i am looking forward to a shift 
and hope to spend some time in my long abandoned
sewing studio.
and i'm hoping to take a walk, too.

(thanks to my guru, henry, who's wisdom helped me get this far).

i've missed you!
what have you been up to lately?

6 comments:

  1. oh my...beautiful...but
    that plane is too small for this gal
    the world can't be run by such a committee
    ...you are not seeking power or wealth or destruction of another....
    they all are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    So good to know there are folks like you working toward the good in education today. And I'm happy to see you are also gaining and growing with the time spent, despite its pulling you from your other creative self.
    Later today I am meeting with the librarian in the middle school/high school here in town to offer myself as a volunteer. I do so miss being in a school library and around kids and learning. Wish me luck that she'll find me acceptable for her program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've volunteered often, with various periods of rejuvenation. Lately I find myself on the uptick with responsibilities and I find it invigorating; I'm glad.

    May I copy your description of what it means to be on a committee? It's beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud your commitment to these boards, Karen. Such wonderful work! I have been working with a collaborative in my town to bring the arts more to the forefront and celebrate and make visual arts more accessible to all. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are busy! I am right there wit you. We are having a big housewarming/Halloween party on Saturday, after that I may have some more time to work on creative projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think you are really involved to these boards, and I am sure they are very happy with you and your wisdom(of course henry will add his too).
    That picture from the plane is beautiful, so colorful. Happy sewing again;

    ReplyDelete