inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, April 20, 2017

a month of stitching::day 19::Handmade Joy Exchange



Anne of My Giant Strawberry has hosted several Handmade Joy Exchanges over the years. Anne invites folks to send her their contact information, then she mixes everyone up and sends each of us the name of a person to create a little something for. I've participated in all but one of Anne's exchanges, so this time around I signed up right away!

When I received Sarah's information, I checked out her Instagram account to see what sorts of things interested her. I literally squealed with delight when I saw her photos. Take a peek here and you'll see why. I knew right away that I wanted to create a path in the woods for Sarah, using as many natural elements as I could. I used some of my homegrown, hand dyed indigo linen as the base and worked with birch twigs from the yard, cotton thread, a bit of paper and a much loved mother of pearl button. It was such fun to send this piece across the ocean to France, hoping it would be well received.

Well, never did I ever expect what happened next! A few weeks later, a package arrived from France and I found this lovely watercolored painting inside. Sarah sent me a thank-you gift. How sweet is that? Her simple and joyful leaves have inspired an idea that I hope to include in my own "month of stitching" project soon.

And soon another package arrived at my doorstep here in Vermont. It came from Kels in Australia! You can get a peek at her spiffy website here. Kels sent me five amazingly detailed, hand painted note cards. Some of her work reminds me of meditative mandalas. I also see a bit of the Aboriginal art of the indigenous people of Australia in her work. I do love to write snail mail, but these may be too precious to send away!

Tomorrow Anne will post a comprehensive look at all of the beautiful pieces that have been flying around the world this spring. Be sure to check her blog to see the many inspired gestures of friendship among folks who may never meet one another. Kindred spirits, gathered by creativity, joy and generosity...thank you Anne, from the bottom of my heart for getting us organized and facilitating such a positive experience for so many of us. You are a gem. xo

8 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your creative works of art. This piece with the indigo dyed cloth is really special. All of your work has inspired me. I appreciate the links to other people who create. Look forward to your postings, Karen and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you have found some inspiration here, Linda. Blogging may be an old fashioned thing these days, but I do love how it connects so many makers, dreamers and doers. xo

      Delete
  2. So well written, Karen. I really love the stitched piece you made! And those note cards are very special! So glad to have been a participant too! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for Anne! It's been such fun to poke around the internet today, hasn't it?

      Delete
  3. Such a lot of joy here, Karen! So glad you participated again this year. I love your wallhanging. So very special! (And what a perfect little button to use for it!).

    Thanks so much for joining in and spreading joy and love.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the hero of the day, Anne...sparking all this creativity all over the world. xo

      Delete
  4. Your wallhanging is simply gorgeous! I've loved being part of this Joy Exchange, and seeing what was given and received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen! Anne really does deserve kudos for making it all happen. xo

    ReplyDelete