inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, January 26, 2009

snail mail


Sending mail via the USPS may not be thrifty, given the current cost of a first class stamp, but here's an idea to inspire old fashioned correspondence. (Valentine's Day is coming...).  The Envelope Mill, by Haila Harvey includes 3 different sized plastic templates and instructions to help you recycle old magazines, calendars and catalogs into envelopes.  Before I drop said publications into the canvass bag headed to the recycling center, I flip through them and tear out anything that might work.  While I'm watching TV or having a cup of tea, I'll trace a few templates, cut out the envelopes and glue them.  Soon I'll have a stack ready for thank you notes, get well cards etc.  Electronic mail is great, and you can tell I enjoy blogging, but once in a while a hand written note is in order.  These envelopes reduce waste, create something lovely and reconnect the sender and receiver over the miles that divide them.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi! i beg to differ with your first statement...i can't think of anything *more* economical than sending a note through the mail for 42 cents, especially compared to $50 a month for high speed internet connection or $40 a month telephone bill or $30 a month cell phone bill!! And these recycled envelopes you've made are gorgeous...really nice repurposing of something that would otherwise go to the landfill or recycling. And i'm sure people are delighted to have something so pretty show up in their mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, this is beautiful and not just the recycled envelopes but the entire blog. What a nice idea. It has me feeling that Im a part of your life again. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that 'snail mail' is a forgotten pleasure. There is nothing like a handwritten letter, buried in a pile of bills and junk mail, to add warmth and spirit to a day. Love the pretty recycled envelopes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like so much fun. I could do this with travel photos of places I've traveled with my partner. I like to tuck little notes of appreciation into his computer bag or on his keyboard when he has stepped away from his computer. How wonderful it would be if I used recycled materials.

    By the way: I found this particular blog by following February 1st blog.

    ReplyDelete