inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, January 30, 2009

a thankful heart

"A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all other virtues".  -Marcus Tullius Cicero

This is the little notebook I keep near my side of the bed. (It is very easy to personalize a blank notebook with scraps of fabric or paper) I try, every night, to spend a few minutes centering myself and collecting my thoughts.  I write down a few "gratitudes", a few accomplishments of the day and a few "intentions" for the next day. 

Sometimes the gratitude is as simple as "the warm weight of Henry (my cat) on my lap".  Sometimes it's celebratory or profound or silly. But there are always things to be grateful for. And writing them down, putting them into words makes them matter more.  Each day that I account for them, they accumulate and increase my awareness of the blessings in my life.

The accomplishments of the day allow me to affirm simple things as well.  Maybe it was preparing a healthy meal for those who gathered around our table, maybe it was making progress on a project.  Maybe it was finally tackling something I'd been putting off for ages.  You get the idea.

The intentions I jot down becomes a list of things to do, but with a twist.  I try to see them as opportunities rather than chores or obligations.  Can I do errands in an efficient way, taking the shortest route possible and being friendly to those I meet along the way? Can I attend that meeting (that I don't want to go to) and listen for some new insight I would miss if I didn't attend? Perhaps an intention is as simple as checking in with a friend who has been on my mind.  

The economic downturn has hit very close to home this week.  In several ways.  It has not been easy.  At night, while I sit with my book I realize it is even more important to be grateful these days. Despite the setbacks, my life is full of abundance.  The contrast between my life and that of my sisters and brothers in Gaza, the Sudan, Afganistan, and many other places on the globe is remarkable, and indeed I keep them in my thoughts.  

 Thanking and Blessing-the sacred art by Jay Marshall has been an inspiration for me.  Jay's message is Christian based, and because my faith invites me to explore and find value in many religious traditions, I am able to extract what's useful to me, personally.  I appreciate the rich diversity of ideas and aspirations in the work of many authors and so I encourage you to check out Jay's book.  

And just to lighten your day, check out this website where the philosophy is "All creeds, all breeds, no dogmas allowed".  Did I mention this charming place is in Vermont? (Thanks, Mumsie, for reminding me of this little slice of heaven).






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful peaceful journal cover, and beautiful thoughts. We do have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful to have you as a friend. Your posts are thought-provoking and never fail both to make me feel better and strive to try harder in my life. *big hug*

    jane

    ReplyDelete