inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Friday, May 1, 2009

happy may day!

Even on an overcast day, this says "Crayola crayon, spring green".
Years ago, when Gretta was a little girl, and my buddy Franny and I lived closer, the three of us used to celebrate May Day in the old fashioned way. Franny made beautiful little door knob baskets and we would fill them with flowers and branches of blossoming twigs from our yards. Then we would hang the baskets on the door knobs of our friends' houses, ring the doorbell and run! When the older kids came home from school for lunch (it was a neighborhood school, and everyone had an hour to go home for lunch!), they wanted to hear all about our adventures. 
I collaged this basket using bits from an old White Flower Farm*catalog, and popped it into the mail to Franny. I got so carried away with the flowers, that the handle has disappeared. Oh, well. The tag says, "DEAR FRANNY, missing you on MAY DAY! Love, Karen".  I think that says it all.

May you all find time to put a little spring festival into your day!



*I cannot be responsible for what happens if you open this link.





3 comments:

  1. Yes, that is definitely 'spring green'! The photos brought an immediate sense of pleasure!
    Your May basket is lovely, and I loved the story of how you and Fran celebrated in the past. Sounds like something out of a storybook - especially kids coming home for lunch...
    Your blog is always such a pleasure to read.
    Happy May Day, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy May Day!! I have wonderful memories of ringing doorbells and running with my kids too -we left ours in old strawberry baskets woven with ribbon. Today I have plans to visit our old home site around the corner where they torn down the house 2 yrs ago & dig up three little brunnera among the many blooming and leave them on the porches of friends to find after work. We're all still kids at heart! -- Debbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your kind comments...

    ReplyDelete