In the midst of moving from Connecticut to Vermont. Dreams really can come true.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

monkeying around in my sewing studio

My friend ("The Queen of Everything") is soon to be a Grandma for the first time. Her daughter, Cate loves monkeys and her favorite colors are red and orange. I like to make nursery pillows as shower gifts, and so I put together this appliqued monkey. I used a pattern by Barbra Viall, originally designed for felted wool, copyright 2000, and no longer available according to the internet. I used batiks and calicos from my fabric stash and heatnbond lite, an iron-on adhesive. I top stitched the raw edges and made a overlap sleeve for the back.
Today's shower was a delightful intergenerational gathering of women...friends and relatives of the mom-to-be. Such hope and love and promise filled the room. A new baby, a new year...

Refreshing. Optimistic. Wonderful.

7 comments:

  1. That's exactly the way I felt and still feel with a new baby on the way. Whether it's mother or grandmother-to-be.
    Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear karen, thanks for sharing in our joy today!
    the monkey pillow is awesome. tqoe and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable and what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older one gets, the more precious new babies seem to be. I find myself drawn to admire every little one I see wherever I'm shopping. Our own dear little girl-child, grand-daughter Charlotte, has restored my sanity at a difficult time in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine there was grace abundant in your "intergenerational gathering of women." Hope warming each breast with the simple miracle of a child.... A perfect beginning to 2013.
    I'm smiling just thinking about the delight your pillow will bring to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and, yes, a new baby coming is like a breath of fresh air!! What a sweet gift!!

    ReplyDelete