inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

30 day vegan workshop wrap-up


This is what I have noticed, slowly, over the last 30 days...
  • we stuck to the plan nearly 100%. 30 days x 3 meals = 90 meals. i was pure vegan for 88 of those meals. 
  • almost no cravings.
  • didn't miss my beloved dairy. at all.
  • slept much better...deeper and with fewer wakeful, restless spells.
  • loved the colors and textures and flavors of the food.
  • ate out very little, which had financial savings as the silver lining. we also knew exactly what we were eating.
  • less refined sugars kept my energy level more steady.
  • joints are feeling a bit better (this from a gal who had her knees replaced at the tender age of 50).
  • lost 7 pounds. (!)
  • discovered new ingredients that i'll keep on using.
  • didn't snack as much. (!)
  • enjoyed reconnecting with familiar rhythms in our kitchen that had fallen away due to...what?
This is what I am still wondering about...
  • how do we reconcile the use of things like citrus, fresh ginger, coconut products, quinoa, rices and other ingredients as we try to embrace the local food movement?
  • will i reintroduce chicken and beef into my diet, even if it's locally sourced, grass fed/free ranging? not so sure...maybe eggs?
  • not so sure i'll go back to dairy either. 
  • and i'm still not sure about the role of soy in my diet. this nutritional discussion is very complicated.
  • i want to learn more about the anti-inflammatory diet.
I am grateful to Batman, who surprised me by coming along for the ride. (Indeed, an empty nest is full of possibilities). And thanks, too, to Heather for her wonderful workshop, filled with great recipes, encouragement, life changing information and inspiration.

Nourishing and clean food can create better health. This is something I know, and now I need to remember and live this as I step out into the weeks and months and years ahead.

Namaste to Heather and all my fellow travelers on the journey. Here's to our health!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a successful 30 days! Awesome! It's funny that you mentioned not eating out as the same thing happened to J and I when we went vegetarian and I began preparing a lot of Ayurvedic recipes (many of which are, by nature, anti-inflammatory because they involve a lot of turmeric and ginger and "cooling" ingredients). We don't miss it either. It's more of a treat when we do go out.

    I'm sure this was covered in the workshop but if you're going to leave both meat and dairy behind, you may want to consider supplementing with B6 and folate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tremendous goal. I am not sure I could make that step just yet. I know I would feel better if I did. Congratulations on your success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so disciplined, and i'm so impressed with your insightful observations and ponderings
    but, but birthdays are on the horizon! what about chocolate cake???
    and... ahem... a very special little package just arrived that had me calling keenan to bring his mane over - pronto...
    oh my
    xo
    and i'll stop over at gretta's place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! I'm impressed:) I try to eat local as much as possible, but I do make concessions for lemons, olive oil, coffee, wine, ginger - you know, the basic food groups. When we eat meat (I'm trying to cut that out more and more) it's 90% local, free range. Dairy would be really hard to give up. Did you eat bread?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds life altering....was there anything you found difficult...like good produce off season...or that you missed/didn't like?

    I type this with a purpose, from flat on my back....another herniated disc (in my sleep on Sunday of all things). Mindfulness and mediation are key for me but I too am thinking of some kind of fast/cleanse/change beyond my usual vegetarianism.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, that's a awesome feat..... am thrilled and impressed you could do this...... am not sure I could have that commitment.

    ReplyDelete