inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Monday, April 11, 2011

stunned by sentiment

one of my favorite memories of growing up next door to my
paternal grandparents is the sunday night ritual i had with
my grandmother.
we watched masterpiece theatre together on PBS.
one of our favorites was
upstairs downstairs.
imagine my delight when i learned that a sequel was in the works!

 as i sat down to watch the first episode last night,
and heard the opening music
(which was the same as the original),
i burst into tears.
serious tears.
blubbering tears.

my grandmother died in 1992,
nineteen years ago.

wow.
the tenderness of the heart is a powerful thing.

sometimes i open the box full of her hankies
(she always had one tucked under the cuff of her blouse)
and the faintest bit of scent still lingers in the fabric.
i feel like she's still somewhere near to me.

not haunted, just present in a different way.
i sure do miss her.
xo

9 comments:

  1. Of course, she is near to you... those smells, those beautiful hankies and those memories of time spent together... she certainly is present, and how wonderful that you still hold her so close to your heart.

    But Reed, I have to say that whenever I think of Masterpiece Theatre it turns into memories of Monsterpiece Theatre with Alistair Cookie, and especially the episode of Upstairs Downstairs with Grover, here ~
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLbKtcwtZY&feature=fvwrel

    Now those are some mighty fine memories too!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Potts. I had forgotten about Alistair Cookie! Thanks so much for sharing this fabulous link.

    (I know it's not polite to have favorites, but many years ago, I named a cat after Grover).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post about your grandmother, Karen.
    I, too, had a burst of tears as I saw Rose and 165 Eaton Place, and heard the familiar music. My memories are of watching this show while dating my husband, and we have watched the original series many times since then! We loved this new chapter and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Masterpiece Theater. I'm looking forward to the new Upstairs/Downstairs too, it is recorded and waiting. But yes, it can be amazing what feeling and emotion we have tucked away to come out and surprise us sometimes. What wonderful memories of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phrase I've always loved from the Fred Small song I referred to in an comment earlier is "the only measure of your words & your deeds will be the love that's left behind when you're gone." That's some powerful love your Grandmother left with you - no wonder it shines through your life so beautifully. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful grandmother memories ... how lucky we are to have been loved by such women xo tqoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. I have tears in my eyes:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen,
    Oh, your expression of the love for your grandmother and the scent on the fabric of her hankies has touched something deep in my heart and that of my sisters and we thank you for your beautiful words. They are timeless and soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh, this was so sweet.
    i was excited too to see Upstairs Downstairs playing again.

    ReplyDelete