inhale...exhale...relax your shoulders...repeat as often as needed

Thursday, October 25, 2018

another colleague, hope

"Visiting our four friends again, we see that 
Truth, Mercy, Justice, and Peace 
have been joined by another colleague,
Hope"
-John Paul Lederach

Oh, friends, the recent news about mail bombs has me thinking that the rifts in our nation are so ridiculously wide and tightly defended that I have wandered back to a book I read years ago.  The Journey Toward Reconciliation, by John Paul Lederach is a treasure trove of insight and practical ideas to use in peacemaking. I do not identify as a Christian (as he most certainly is), yet his approach to conflict resolution has much to offer even me. He has much to say about "learning how to live together in the midst of deep differences."-William L. Ury, from the back cover of the book.

So how do we, as just ordinary citizens, navigate the rifts and helplessness that we may feel?

When I was feeling really defeated by current events about a year ago, an opportunity for service came knocking on my door. It resonated with me because I knew that the work would have a very local impact. I would be able to collaborate with folks around a mission that resonates with me. And I sensed that the work would bring me a renewed sense of hope when I dearly needed it. I now serve on the board of directors of a Community Action Agency here in Vermont. (The Economic Opportunity Act of 1964, was signed into law by President Lyndon B Johnson and it authorized the formation of Community Action Agencies as part of the War on Poverty.) I have had much to learn. And I have had much to share. I've met such wonderful people. This work even led me to a day at the Vermont Statehouse last winter, someplace I never expected to find myself. My life has been enriched by this work.

And, indeed, I have hope.

At least for my little neck of the woods.

And for right now, that is enough.

How about you?

Do you find hope in a walk in the woods?
In the work/art/gardening/singing/reading that you do?
In the relationships that you grow?
In the places you visit?

xo




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are to be commended on getting more involved with your local community. Times such as these push many of us, me included, into the security of the familiar i.e home and friends.

    This week though, I have found much inspiration watching the Invictus games. Not just from the competitors who have overcome mental and physical injuries (many horrific), to be able to compete at the games, but also the obvious joy and pride shared all the families and friends watching on, and the overwhelming camaraderie support shown by all the competitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! The Invictus games are quite inspiring. Wish we had more coverage here in the US.

    ReplyDelete